Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to wasps, bees, hornets, and yellowjackets.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Need help keeping P. exclamans.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
exclamans

Need help keeping P. exclamans. Empty
PostSubject: Need help keeping P. exclamans.   Need help keeping P. exclamans. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2014 6:41 pm

Okay, so I need help taking care of my P. exclamans. I have attempted at taking care of them several different times. Each time was a failure. Most of the failures were simply the queens leaving their nests (I keep my wasps outside to do their normal waspy stuff). So anyways, I tried a few days before I posted this, and the exclamans queen was fine, then I come home one day to see that the queen was gone, I suspected she just left to go get some wood fibers, so I waited, but she didn't come back, and I discovered a mantispid larva on the nest. Mantispids are little mantis looking insects that as a larva they are parasites of Polistes wasps. I killed the mantispid larva, hoping the queen would come back to the nest, but she didn't. I plan on retrying soon, but first I need information on how to keep them. Kk, bye.  Laughing
Back to top Go down
Kjkh

Need help keeping P. exclamans. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need help keeping P. exclamans.   Need help keeping P. exclamans. Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2014 3:10 pm

So... from your post (correct me if I ma wrong) I assume you are allowing them to free-range outside?

Wasp queens, and exclamans in particular, have a rather high mortality rate early in the season when there are no workers to help them, so your experience is, sadly, rather commonplace. I am not familiar with keeping wasps outside, so all I can suggest is probably to give the nest more protection by enclosing it in some sort of a container, or keeping your queen inside initially and transferring the nest to an outside location only when workers have hatched.

I would recommend you to join our facebook group: "Vespids-Social Wasp Enthusiasts." There are some people there who are far more experienced than me and could probably give you better advice.
Back to top Go down

Need help keeping P. exclamans.
Page 1 of 1