Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to wasps, bees, hornets, and yellowjackets.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Saw a Polistes bellicosus

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
VespidGirl
VespidGirl

Saw a Polistes bellicosus Empty
PostSubject: Saw a Polistes bellicosus   Saw a Polistes bellicosus Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 10:10 pm

I saw a beautiful Polistes bellicosus today! She was buzzing around while our school's rocket team was preparing to launch. After our rocket blew up just inches off of the platform Shocked I lost sight of it, but it was really a beauty. Wink
Back to top Go down
vulgaris
Administrator
vulgaris

PostSubject: Re: Saw a Polistes bellicosus   Saw a Polistes bellicosus Icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 8:30 pm

You better watch those bellicosus! I hear they have one the the worst temperments when it comes to Polistes
Back to top Go down
http://vulgaris.nacko.net/
VespidGirl
VespidGirl

PostSubject: Re: Saw a Polistes bellicosus   Saw a Polistes bellicosus Icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 8:31 pm

Hmm... I raised a colony last year, and they seemed pretty calm... Maybe it was just the kind of personality that queen had...?
Back to top Go down
vulgaris
Administrator
vulgaris

PostSubject: Re: Saw a Polistes bellicosus   Saw a Polistes bellicosus Icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 8:34 pm

Could be that they just got accustomed to you I guess. One of the experts at bugguide once said
"Bellicosus is one of the more aggressive species, nearly every nest I have found, I get chased even when I'm 5 feet away!"
Back to top Go down
http://vulgaris.nacko.net/
VespidGirl
VespidGirl

PostSubject: Re: Saw a Polistes bellicosus   Saw a Polistes bellicosus Icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 11:00 pm

Hmm. maybe it has to do with the type of climate. At school there was a colony that would let me get right up to them. Maybe mild temperatures help the wasps calm down...?
Back to top Go down
bhoeschcod
bhoeschcod

PostSubject: Re: Saw a Polistes bellicosus   Saw a Polistes bellicosus Icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 1:01 pm

Wow thats even worse then a yellow jacket nest.I can stand there and jump up and down and they don't chase me.D maculata is an exspetion i could chased just for breathing 6 feed away from them!
Back to top Go down
http://mealwormmania.forumotion.net/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Saw a Polistes bellicosus   Saw a Polistes bellicosus Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Saw a Polistes bellicosus
Page 1 of 1